Many readers have asked what memory I recommend for upgrading the A0722. My recommendation is 4GB of 1066MHz DDR3 Kingston memory
because it offers a lifetime warranty, solid performance AND it is only about $22 with free shipping!
Another great way to improve performance is to replace the AO722’s slow hard drive with a SSD. The Crucial M4 128GB
(which includes a data transfer kit) or the Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
(drive only) are my top two choices. They both offer 3 year warranties along with good performance and reliability.
If you have the nice little Acer Aspire One 11.6″ netbook you may be wondering how to upgrade it for maximum performance. So here is a photo tutorial on how to upgrade the RAM on an Acer Aspire One AO722 laptop. You can also see how to remove the hard drive & upgrade to an SSD 🙂
+always remove the laptop’s battery* before beginning any component removal/upgrade
+be careful of static electricity as it can damage your laptop. To ground yourself, periodically touch a metal object (other than your laptop) to discharge any static electricity -or- invest in an anti-static wrist band. 🙂
*to remove the battery: before the battery can be removed, there is a spring loaded tab/switch that must be moved into the unlocked position. The tab is located on the bottom of the laptop near one corner of the battery [just above the “Tutorial” label in the 1st photo below]. You can use a pen, small screwdriver tip, or possibly just the tip of your finger to slide the tab and then you can easily remove the battery…
- Screwdriver pointing to the one screw you need to remove to access the RAM
- Pull downward on both of the rubber feet to slide open the access panel
- Nice and easy access to the memory and hard drive as well as the wifi card!
- photo only shows one of the tabs being pulled back, make sure to release BOTH memory retention tabs
- Memory after it has been released and it pops up
- Remove the old RAM and install the new memory
- BIOS/UEFI showing the 4GB of RAM installed!
- Carefully lift the hard drive & then you can remove the (2) screws that secure it to the adapter
- The two screws that secure the hard drive
Upgrading the AO722’s memory is nice and easy, likewise the hard drive comes out with minimal fuss. With these two simple upgrades, the lovely little Acer performs even better 🙂
Since the AO722 supports 8GB of memory, readers have been looking for compatible 8GB RAM recommendations*. Here you go: 8GB of 1333MHz DDR3 Corsair memory
which works great with the AO722 and AO725, plus it is only about $39 with free shipping and a lifetime warranty!
*Make sure you have a 64 bit operating system in order to utilize all 8GB of memory…