Add bluetooth to the Acer Aspire One 722
If you would like to add bluetooth to your AO722, there are a couple easy (and pretty cheap) options:
- #1 Compact USB bluetooth adapter
- These are about $20 with free shipping at Amazon and this particular model has 600 reviews and an average rating of 4.5 stars
- The dongle is small enough that you can just leave it plugged into a free USB port
- Installation consists of simply plugging the adapter into your USB and installing the driver, if you hit any snags here’s a tip:
- Amazon reviewer Mgamerz listed the following tip if you have an issue like the following: …when you go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound, it totally locks up and shows nothing (Looks like its loading, but never finishes). You also can’t add any devices. This is because the “Bluetooth Support Service” is disabled. […] To enable it (and add devices/view any devices (wired/wireless)), go to start, type in ‘services.msc’ and open the result of the same name. Find “Bluetooth Support Service”. Right click it, go to properties, and set the startup type to “Automatic”, and click Apply/OK. Then right click the item again and click “Start”. Now your menus should load.
- #2 Combination wifi / bluetooth mini pci-express card
- If you are a little more adventurous, you can quickly replace your AO722’s existing wifi card with a higher-end combination card containing both wifi and bluetooth 🙂
- Look for model #BCM94313HMGB
Here is the location of the mini pci-e slot where you can swap in a wifi bluetooth combo card, just carefully disconnect the black and white antenna wires then reconnect once the new card is installed:
If you need some more help with replacing the card, here is my photo tutorial for accessing the AO722 internal components.