My Dell M6500 and Performance Upgrades
This month I’ll be switching over from a Dell M4400 to a Dell M6500. Samantha is rocking it out with a Dell Vostro V130. They are all three excellent machines, but for my purposes the M6500 is nearly perfect.
Specifically, it is:
- bargain priced (since the M6600 is out now) especially if refurbished via Dell Outlet (w/3 year warranty)
- high-enough performance (dual core 4 threads HT is enough and should minimize heat compared to quad core 8 threads)
- up to four storage drives capable
- (2) 2.5″ SATA
- optical drive replaceable with 2.5″ SATA HD/SSD
- (1) mSATA.
- I have the storage configured as follows:
- 2.5″ SSD (for programs and OS)
- Dual 750GB WD Black 2.5″ drives in RAID1 (for data)
- Easily replaced Vista with Windows 7 (I thought about VMWare ESXi but didn’t know how well occasional [Starcraft 2] gaming would work with it…)
- Gorgeous 17″ UltraSharp WUXGA (1920×1200) RGB LED Display
- Easily up to 16GB RAM (since there are four SODIMM slots) I will be starting with 8GB
- USB 3.0 (I was surprised since the outlet page didn’t list this as included on my model…)
Overall I am gaga over this machine and I cannot wait to use it for work and play!
Original factory specs:
Item Description: -- Precision Mobile Workstation M6500 Laptop Genuine Windows Vista Business Quantity: 1 -- Precision Mobile Workstation M6500 Laptop -- Silver -- Software -- Operating System DVD -- Certified Refurbished -- Dell Control Point software -- 8X DVD ± RW Drive -- Software -- Software -- Genuine Windows Vista Business -- Roxio Software CD -- Documentation -- Shipping -- Power DVD Software -- 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor -- No Modem -- Service Software -- 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs) -- Label -- 64BIT Operating System -- Trend Micro 16.6 PC-cillin 30 Day -- Power DVD Software -- No Raid -- 210W/240W switchable Slim 3P A/C Adapter -- 125V Power Cord -- Operating System Label -- Base Assembly -- 17 inch UltraSharp WUXGA (1920x1200) RGB LED Display -- Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card -- 1.0 GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Graphics -- Processor: Intel Core i5-560M Dual Core (2.66GHz 3MB for M6500) -- Label -- Back-lit Keyboard -- Windows Live -- 9 Cell Primary Battery -- No Camera -- Documentation -- No Fingerprint Reader -- Palmrest W/O Smart Card Reader -- Roxio Software CD -- Prec M6500: 3Yr Basic Ltd Warranty and NBD On-site Service (Included In Price)