Exede satellite internet VPN performance review
Exede VPN Performance
If you are like me and sometimes need to use a VPN for work or privacy you may be interested in how VPN over Exede works. So here are a few results from testing a VPN connection over Exede.
Summary: It is not the ideal VPN solution, but it is reliable and can get the job done in a pinch.
DL speeds and ping times:
- 80-120KB/s actual download speeds
- 900-1400ms ping times (pinging yahoo)
- Speedtest results
- Speedtest.net results while connected to the VPN were not wholly indicative of real world performance IMHO, but here they are nonetheless for comparison purposes
- browsing the web over VPN = Fair
- FTP over VPN = Fair
- SSH etc. over VPN = Good
- Remote desktop/VNC/Teamviewer/Logmein = Laggy
- This was using a PPTP VPN connection, I have been unable to get L2TP and IPSec connections to work
- Exede non-VPN performance is MUCH better than these results, the VPN over satellite connection degrades speed and performance significantly.
- VPN performance can be affected by the connection at the other end not just Exede
- These results were from the Exede NOC to Washington DC, I will try other VPN connections in the future and add additional results