Surface Pro 3 dual monitor dock, w/Gigabit Ethernet
Accell just released a cool new dock intended for the Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3. However, the dock should work equally well with any laptop/tablet that has a Mini DisplayPort 1.2 MST capable port and USB 3.0 port.
The DisplayPort portion of the dock uses MST to act as a hub for connecting (2) DisplayPort monitors, while the USB 3.0 port handles Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 hub duties.
Overall you get a pretty nice docking solution compared to the other options*.
*I love that this uses straight-up DisplayPort, as the alternative of video over USB 3.0 is never ideal IMHO.
If you want the press release, here it is:
Accell Reveals UltraAV Mini DisplayPort Y-Cable Docking Station
Accell’s Y-Cable Docking Station is optimized for use with the Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3
Fremont, Calif. – May 19, 2015 – Accell, a provider of premium power products, computer and mobile device accessories, today unveiled the company’s new UltraAV Mini DisplayPort Y-Cable Docking Station. Connecting to a computer’s Mini DisplayPort output and its USB 3.0 port, the docking station provides two Mini DisplayPort outputs, three USB 3.0 ports and one Gigabit Ethernet port.
Supporting DisplayPort 1.2 multi-stream transport (MST) mode, the docking station can independently support two DisplayPort monitors with resolutions up to 2560×1600@60Hz, 24bpp for each monitor. In addition, a single monitor can be supported up to 3840×2160 @60Hz, 24bpp. Both Mini DisplayPort 1.2 outputs are DP++ enabled, allowing the use of either active or passive adapters when adapting a Mini DisplayPort output to support an HDMI, DVI or VGA monitor. The Y-Cable Docking Station also features the HDCP 1.3 content protection scheme with embedded keys, providing uninterrupted transmission of protected audio and video content.
The UltraAV Mini DisplayPort Y-Cable Docking Station features the following:
· Provides two Mini DisplayPort 1.2 output ports
· Expands a USB 3.0 port to three USB 3.0 ports
· Includes one Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port
· Supports DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport (MST)
· DisplayPort 1.2 maximum link rate: 5.4Gbps (HBR2) per lane
· DP++ (dual-mode) enabled Mini DisplayPort outputs
· Ethernet supports Wake-on-LAN technology, crossover detection, and auto-correction
· Supports USB 3.0 Charging Downstream Port (CDP)
· Compliance: DisplayPort 1.2, 1.1a, VESA DDM, HDCP 1.3, DisplayID and EDID 1.4
· AC adapter with US, EU, AUS and UK power plugs
With an MSRP of $149.99, Accell’s new Y-Cable Docking Station is available for purchase now. For more information about Accell and the company’s products, please visit http://www.accellcables.com.