Changing the oil and oil filter on a Chevy Avalanche [updated for 2013]
Today I changed the oil on our 2011 Chevrolet Avalanche for the first time. A few notes on the process:
- the oil drain plug (bolt) is located horizontally (sideways), not vertically (downward) like I’m used to.
- the drain plug uses a 15mm wrench
- to re-tighten the drain plug, I used 18 ft/lbs torque (the recommendations I found called for between 15-20 ft/lbs)
- the oil filter is surprisingly small
- access to the oil filter is generally good, but clearance is tight.
- most oil filter wrenches probably will not fit, so use one of the flexible plastic loop oil filter wrenches/turners
- after moistening the gasket on the new filter with oil, I then proceeded to hand tighten until contact was made, after that I tightened another 3/4 turn (most recommendations I found were for 1/2 to 1 turn after first seating the filter)
- it took 5.5 qts to refill the oil before turning on the engine, and once run it will probably take another .5 qt after the oil filter etc. are filled
Anyone else with tips or suggestions feel free to chime in…