Dell laptop keyboard backlight control & timer [solved - ControlPoint download]
Q. I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 on my Dell laptop. I love the fresh and clean feel, but I can’t find where to adjust the duration on my keyboard backlight. Can you help?!
A. Sure! Backlit keyboards are one of my favorite options on Dell laptops. My previous Dell M4400 had a nice one and now my Dell M6500 (pictured has one too). I will hardly purchase a laptop unless it has a backlit keyboard, they are SO nice for night time or other low-light environments.
But, back to your question! You simply need to install the “Dell System Manager” portion of the Dell “Control Point” driver download.
Here is the Dell download link, once the page loads expand the “ControlPoint” listing and then look for the “ControlPoint System Manager” driver download.
By default the driver will expand to:
Again, here is the OFFICIAL Dell Download Link (support.dell.com)
Sometimes Dell changes their download locations, so here is a local mirror for your convenience:
(download id=”4″) [temporarily disabled, sorry!]
Here is the version info:
Title : ControlPoint:Dell ControlPoint System Manager Application
Version : A16
OEM Name : Dell
OEM Ver : 1.5.00000
Computers : Latitude – E6400 ATG, E6500, E4300, E4200, E6400, E5400, XT2, E5500, Z600, XFR E6400, E5400, XT2 XFR, E6410, E5510, E4310, E6410 ATG, E5410, E6510;
Precision – M4500, M6500, T7500, T5500, T3500, M6400, M2400, M4400
Oses : Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, Windows 7 64-bit Professional, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, Windows Vista 64-bit BusinessWindows Vista 64-bit Home PremiumWindows Vista 64-bit Ultimate
Languages : Arabic, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Indonesian, Basque, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese, Chinese Hong Kong, Chinese-S, Chinese-T, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, English (UK), Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Iberian Portuguese, Italian, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Pan-Euro, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian Latin, Slovakian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian
Created : Thu Sep 2 23:27:34 CDT 2010
And the readme as well:
* Dell System Manager Readme *
Dell System Manager 1.5.00000
Changes from previous release:
- Removal of Dell ControlPoint Launcher: There is no longer a launcher page where the System Manager pillars (Power, System and Devices and Tablet) integrate into. The pillars can now be launched independently via the Start menu.
- Fixes for previously reported issues:
- Fix for not showing battery info for non Dell batteries
- Fix for Tablet Help file issues in Korean language
- Fix for cosmetic UI issues in Keyboard Backlighting
- Fix for not retaining the notification settings on upgrade
- Fix for issue where quick up/down arroow key usages in XT2 caused a Prnt Scrn command to be executed
- Changed description for Dell Power Plans to more meaningful ones
- Removed tablet Input mode options for Win7 OS (as features are available in the OS)
- Added option to allow specification of run time language during install time (to override native OS language)
- Even though the Dell ControlPoint Launcher / Framework has been removed, all the features / functions supported previously will still be available and functional via the independent System Manager pillars.
- The settings for notifications (Ambient Light Sensor, Brightness, Speaker Volume and Keyboard Backlighting) settings have been moved from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dell\DellControlPoint\DIS to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dell\SysMgrExe\Preferences. The registry values for DlgDisablerALS,DlgDisablerKBD,DlgDisablerKBD and DlgDisablerVOL have been replaced with ShowAmbientLightSensorNotification,ShowKeyboardBacklightNotification,ShowBrightnessNotification and ShowVolumeNotification respectively.
- Notes to IT Admins can be found in the release package (called ITAdmins.HTML)