2012.07.20 UPDATE: So far the battery life with the extended battery is simply phenomenal!
I recently purchased a Hyperion extended battery for my Motorola Photon (about $18 on Amazon). Mugen is another popular brand of extended batteries, however, they seem to be $60+. So for now I am pleased to try out this lower cost battery and see how it performs
After switching to an extended battery it seems that the Photon will report that the battery is running down fairly quickly and then the battery meter will stay at around 5% for a long time. This inaccurate reporting would be a real bummer, so priority number one for me was to calibrate the battery. Here are the steps:
[if rooted, app method]
#1 Install Battery Calibration Free by Potente Mobile [in the Google Play store]
#2 Fully charge your phone to 100%
#3 Run Battery Calibration Free
#4 Allow Superuser access
#5 Press Calibrate Battery button
Press the Calibrate Battery button to wipe your Android battery stats and calibrate for your new extended battery
[if rooted, manual method of wiping battery stats]
- Charge new extended battery to 100%,
- Go into recovery and wipe battery stats:
- (adapted from these original instructions: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/957a7e6b58
- Power off the phone, and wait a moment to be sure it is off.
- Press and hold volume down button, then press and hold power button
- “Fastboot” will show up on the top of the screen
- Press Vol down key to cycle through choices until you get “Android Recovery”
- Press Vol up key to select Android Recovery
- Wait for the “triangle ! / Android” screen
- Now press both Vol up and Vol down key simultaneously (you have to do this quick for about 10 second, up down up down up down).
- Watch for a menu to come up
- Tap on Vol down key until “wipe battery stats” is highlighted, then tap Power button to select wipe battery stats.
- Confirm and wait for it to complete.
- After battery stats are cleared, the “reboot system now” option will be highlighted by Default. Tap Power key to select reboot system now.
- Phone will reboot to initial setup screen. DONE.
- Let the phone run until it dies due to 0% battery without connecting to the charger
- Then charge it fully be letting it go from 0% to 100% without disconnecting.
- Presto chango, you are calibrated!
[non-rooted, potential method]
- Install extended battery
- #1 Fully charge 100% (without disconnecting power during the charge), repeat the cycle 4-5 times
- #2 Fully discharge (use your phone until it shuts off, without doing any charging at any point)
- repeat #1 four to five times and calibration should be updated/accurate
I did the rooted automated app calibration last night after installing my battery and charging it fully. I will report back after a few full charge/discharge cycles.